The Rookery was awarded a Green Flag for the first time in 2013. It has been renewed every year since.
The Green Flag Award Scheme recognises and rewards the best green spaces in the country.
To achieve Green Flag you have to prepare a 5 year management plan and after winning the status the park is inspected every year to ensure that standards are being kept up and that the plan is being implemented.
Lambeth in consultation with the Friends of Streatham Common prepared the plan and the overall score was 65- 69 % out of 100. Scores are given for the plan and management.
The plan covers :
Health and Safety
Litter and cleanliness
Conservation and Heritage
The issues raised by the inspector in 2013 were as follows. These will be addressed as time goes on.
1) horticultural expertise and apprentices- need to take opportunities here
2) involving the gardeners and contractor in improvements
3) recycling of litter and recycling bins
4) growing plants in the community garden
5) need to have bee and insect friendly plants
6) need an audit of key heritage features
7) tree survey needed
8) toilets not well maintained – needs a deep clean and graffiti removed
9) the Rookery is understaffed but staff do well with what they have.
Read the full report for the first award: